The 'Shut Down' Button
When you click the Windows 7 Start button, you'll see an actual 'Shut Down' button rather than a cryptic icon--which, by default in Vista, puts your system to sleep instead of turning it off. Though you can't easily change the look of the button, you can change its function. Here's how.
1. Click Start, type Power Options, and press Enter.
2. Click Change plan settings for your selected power plan, and then click Change advanced power settings.
3. Expand the 'Power buttons and lid' tree, then the 'Start menu power button' tree.
4. Change the setting from Sleep to Shut down.
5. Click OK, and then close the remaining windows.
Now, when you click Vista's little power icon in the Start menu, it will truly shut down your PC.
Thanks go to PCWORLD.com for the tip!